Monday, August 20, 2007

Microsoft Lies Regarding Software Re-activation, Invades Privacy

I recently woke one morning and upon rebooting my system to clear the memory and basically start a fresh had the distinct displeasure of being confronted by the very odd, to me, warning message that said I had made too many changes to my hardware and would in 3 days lose the Microsoft Windows XP SP2 operating system if I did not activate the software again to ensure I was legitimate. Huh? Like I'm some suspect in a crime?

Now I admit to having a particularly rebellious streak in me and dislike anyone telling me what to do without deserved authority or placing undue restrictions upon me that don't pass logical scrutiny. But this was beyond the pale! This triggered my fairness spiddey sense to it's maximum ever! "What hardware changes my mind screamed inside?!"

I had done nothing, NOTHING, to the internal hardware of this machine. Nothing of any hardware nature had been done since installation of XP save changing the monitor and that seemed to me to be beyond the scope of their activation program. What business was it of Microsoft's that I change my monitor? I understood their paranoid concept behind the activation of software protection of their intellectual property. It meant they stayed up nights worrying over someone installing a new motherboard and not buying a brand new copy of their latest OS, which by the way is unfair in itself! If I buy the software I own it period and I can put it on ANY pc I want as long as I do not duplicate it and make sure to remove it from any previous pc it was on. That's not how Microsoft sees it however. Billy boy ain't rich enough yet it seams.

The most egregious violation of our rights is the fact that Microsoft's OS products represent a monopoly. This is because 90% at least of all software is written to their OS and we are forced to use it because they sure don't allow any other OS to run software applications made to run on their OS.

Oh sure, you can try running Linux, if you happen to have a computer science degree and more time on your hands than reasonable for constant tweaking. It will run applications that can kind of sort of do what some of what is written for Microsoft OSes can do, sort of. Rumor has it even that one might possibly get a Windows clone/emulator to run on it for running written for Window software... when pigs grow wings! I mean Linux is not for the everyday home user. It's a server application for business and not small businesses really. It's also for the random geek with little else to do with their time but do endless tweaking to get this or that orphaned peripheral to work by writing their own code for that old hard drive that no one thought to make a module for. In other words the only really non pro user-friendly, if you can call it that, operating system for the masses is Microsoft's Windows. Like I said a MONOPOLY.

So for all practical purposes we are all forced into this position of slavery to one product without competition and they write all the rules. Of course you can complain but fat chance that will do any good because after all you clicked the little "agree" button to be able to use the crap. It of course wouldn't work unless you did.

Why even have the "agree" button? It's not like we really have a choice but to implicitly agree, do we?

So it was that with all this anger in mind I begrudgingly gave in and began the process to reactivate XP. Well, after all how much trouble is it really?
If you do it online you don't even need to find your original package for the ID and Key number.

However, I wanted to vent my frustration, disgorge my sense of violation on someone for having been threatened because no hardware changes had been made!

Besides, What business is it of Microsoft's if I had changed a hard drive or maybe installed a new DVD or added just one stick of ram too many before running afoul of their idea of "Hey buddy, that's a new pc now we need to see if we should bleed you some more."?!

So it was that I chose to do the call in form of reactivation. The first call failed. The line simply went dead. I called again. Oh I must mention the annoying automated attempt to deny you the satisfaction of griping to a real Microsoft personage. Finally, after I refused to say what the bot was asking and pressing # a half dozen times it agreed to put me in touch with a real-live-person. Finally! About damn time! But as I said the first try failed.

However I had gotten someone that I couldn't even hear. "Miss", I said, "I can barely hear you". In an obviously irritated tone she spoke up and began her spiel wanting the first four digits of the code on my screen. I said, "First I wish to lodge a complaint". "Why is this happening? I have done nothing to this machine!"

She replies that, "If you make too any changes to hardware or software...."

Hold the damn phone! "Did I hear her correctly?", I thought as my blood began to boil.

"The hell you say!" Went through my mind like a shot from a cannon! I practically screamed back at her, "Are you kidding me? Software? I can't change software without this happening? That's outrageous! I'm calling my lawyer!" I was beyond incensed by now. "You have no right to know how much I change the software", I wanted to say but I didn't bother with her another second. I hung up immediately too angry to continue.

Microsoft had out and out lied!

The error message had explicitly said "Too many changes have been made to the hardware on this machine".

There was no mention of too many software changes whatsoever! I thought to myself what an outrageous and what an un-called-for invasion of my privacy had occurred. I was being watched for changes to software!? Of all the unmitigated nerve!!!

Not only is it none of their business how much I change my hardware around it is absolutely NONE of their pea pickin business how many times I load or unload programs! This is simply beyond credulity!

Something must be done to regain our privacy and our rights. Microsoft will have to find less intrusive ways to protect their precious intellectual property.

Two things must happen. The first is a class action lawsuit. I am asking everyone that feels like I do to join with me in such an action.

The second thing that must happen is a lawsuit to pave the way for some competition for Microsoft for their operating systems at the very least. We must no longer be serfs, Microserfs to Microsoft!

END THE SLAVERY NOW!

END THE TYRANNY NOW!

DEMAND A CHOICE NOW!

DEMAND AN IMMEDIATE END TO MICROSOFT'S INVASION OF YOUR PRIVACY!

More than anything else, teach Microsoft the number one rule in business...
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! Moreover the customer's "RIGHTS" must not be violated!

FutureQ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




[image source]